CAPE-OPEN handbook

Discusses issues and gives tips related to the development of CAPE-OPEN compliant Process Modelling Components

CAPE-OPEN handbook

Postby greTol » 02 June 2014, 09:14

Is there something like "Great book of CAPE-OPEN", "CAPE-OPEN bible", "CAPE-OPEN development compendium", "The CAPE-OPEN handbook", "CAPE-OPEN implementation for beginners", "CAPE-OPEN development for experts", ... ?

I want to create CO compliant unit operations (in Java/C++) and I'm now at a point where I have to do actual C++ implementations. So far I used the MixerSplitterExample provided on "colan.org" as orientation, but I wonder if there is a somehow complete overview about CAPE-OPEN (history, ideas, design principles, implementation best practices, and so on...). If there is none: Are there plans to write such a handbook? Or is there a plan to write a Wiki covering all these topics?
I think it would be very helpful in order to minimize the time to get started with CAPE-OPEN implementation.

With best regards,

Gregor Tolksdorf, M.Sc.
TU-Berlin, Germany

PS: I presented the idea of my approach in last years annual meeting in Lyon ("MOSAIC - A modeling and code generation tool")
greTol

Re: CAPE-OPEN handbook

Postby jasper » 02 June 2014, 11:11

Nope - no such handbook. Not only that, but there are quite a few documents to cover for implementing unit operations:

- unit operation specifications, the unit implements ICapeUnit and perhaps ICapeUnitReport, the ports implement ICapeUnitPort
- thermo 1.0 and 1.1 specifications for the material objects (depending on which version(s) you are targeting)
- collection common interface (port & parameter collection), implement ICapeCollection
- utilities common interface (implemented by the unit), implement ICapeUtilities
- identification common interface (implemented by all objects), implement ICapeIdentification
- persistence common interface (the unit should save & load, so implement IPersistStream or IPersistStreamInit)
- Method & Tools (CAPE-OPEN registration details)

I think indeed if you are on the java side best is to go via JNI to C++ where you can write the COM server part. Do ask if you have more specific questions. That is what the forum is for.
jasper

Return to Process Modelling Components