Excel CAPE-OPEN Thermo Import

Moderator: jasper

Excel CAPE-OPEN Thermo Import

Postby jasper » 30 August 2017, 10:06

For those of you that are interested in using your CAPE-OPEN thermodynamics (v1.1 only) in Excel, please find a Excel thermo socket here:

http://amsterchem.com/excelthermo.html

As usual, free for non-commercial use.
jasper

Re: Excel CAPE-OPEN Thermo Import

Postby mfelzien » 08 September 2017, 04:56

Jasper,

I just got the thermo import to work in excel. It's much more intuitive and doing challenging calculations it helps. I hate to ask, but what is the ETA on the unit operation package. Unfortunately, when I got this working, I can no longer use the excel-unit-operation module. If I could get both working, life would be good. I will enclose a picture of error.

Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (103.01 KiB) Viewed 50825 times
mfelzien

Postby jasper » 08 September 2017, 07:01

I have no ETA yet on the unit. However, if there is problems with the unit since thermo is installed I would like to investigate. What are the symptoms?

The automatic update needs to be disabled. See here https://www.amsterchem.com/excelunitophelp.php?page=Welcome.htm at the bottom.
jasper

Postby jasper » 08 September 2017, 08:52

I see that Excel does not exit when called from the unit operation, when the thermo VSTO is loaded. As it is not the thermo VSTO itself that prevents unloading of Excel, I will have to investigate.
jasper

Postby jasper » 08 September 2017, 16:23

Until the issue is resolved, please disable the thermo VSTO while using the unit operation (Excel/Options/AddIns/Manage COM AddIns, tick off CAPE-OPEN_Thermo).

You can still use the Thermo formulae, just the wizard / ribbon will not work anymore. You can re-enable it from the same place as above, and then restart Excel to see it again.
jasper

Postby jasper » 14 September 2017, 13:25

Please validate that the problem is resolved with Excel CAPE-OPEN Thermo Import 1.0.0.5, which is now available for download.
jasper

Postby mfelzien » 25 September 2017, 02:47

jasper wrote:Please validate that the problem is resolved with Excel CAPE-OPEN Thermo Import 1.0.0.5, which is now available for download.

Jasper, I installed 1.0.5 and the problem seemed fixed. Then I downloaded update using CUP. Seems a bit buggy. I think I have it working now, but often excel is crashing and not closing after I update the calculations sheet. I will keep working with it to see if it's on my end. I think I have 1.0.0.6 now, and a bit buggy. Thank you.
mfelzien

Postby jasper » 25 September 2017, 07:21

Can you try if it gets better with the Excel Thermo AddIn disabled?

Do you have any other COM AddIns (VSTOs) enabled? Can you also try to temporary disable those?
jasper

Return to Microsoft Excel Thermo Import (AmsterCHEM)